I think Easter is a great opportunity to teach my children about Jesus' atonement. The first family home evening after easter, Nicky for the fist time shared her testimony with us...sort of. She got this new frase "fisrt of all" that she uses when she wants to enumerate her points. So her testimony was like this: "Ok, first of all Jesus is my Savior, all right! And second of all He lives, okay!" Glenn and I wanted to laugh not because of her testimony (which was beautiful) but the way she shared it. It was like watching one of those talk shows were the girl is making sure that everybody knows she is right and nobodyelse is. It was cute but funny at the same time. Anyway, the one who couldn't stop laughing was Ian but he laughed pretty much of everything.
We didn't know what to do for Easter. In my family it's just a moment to think of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us. We used to decorate eggs and fill them with conffetti to afterwards smash them on our family or friends' heads. No hunting or candies or presents. The last 2 years we have gone with Nicky and had let her hunt eggs that we would just put around the grass. This year was actually the first year that I bought toys for the kids. Now I don't believe in the bunny who brings presents bla bla bla. So I didn't want to teach that to my children. We were planning to put the eggs in the grass come back home and after a lesson of why we celebrate easter give the children their big gifts. Well, of course I kept thinking oh well, they probably are going to be so focused on the chocolates inside of the eggs that they barely would pay attention to us. Well I wasn't wrong at all, (I was hiding the toys inside of a closet) So Nicky was eating her chocolates and wasn't paying attention as I thought would happen, and I kept thinking how can I make her interested in this subject? Well I told her, "Daddy is going to ask a question and if you answers right, Mommy will give you a suprise!" she didn't pay attention because she was eating. So I told her, "All right you don't want to play, well Daddy ask Ian a question." Nicky of course didn't sit around any move, I guess she was thinking, "WHAT ARE THEY NUTTS? MY BRO IS JUST ONE YEAR OLD AND HE BARELY CAN BARK." But she didn't realize that her folks (us) are way smarter than her...well at least we have lived longer :). So Glenn told Ian "Hey Ian do you know that Jesus loves us and we love him back too, so Ian were is Jesus?" and my son dosen't talk but he points pretty much to everything that he recognizes or wants, so he searched the room and when he found Jesus' picture he kept pointing at Him. Glenn and I clapped and I gave him a prize, taking one of Ian's gifts out of the closet. When Nicky saw this she just dropped the chocolate and started shouting at me "ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT! MY TURN, MY TURN". So the game began. We had fun and I really think she got the idea of why we celebrate Easter, it's to remeber the love that our Heavnely Father has for us in sending Jesus and the love that Jesus feels for us. That even though He died he was resurrected, and He is alive. Well of course she didn't tell me all this, but when she shared her testimony it was very clear for me that she got the general idea. So as a tradition of our own family we decided to hide the eggs next year and of course add the little trivia to our family. Since our budget is very tight but my kids are easy to be please. I can always go to the dollar section and buy little things that they will think are the best.
1 comment:
Claudia,
I love reading about your little family. Nikki sure was funny about the easter gift trivia. I'm glad to hear you are doing well, having fun, and eating delicious cakes. You are quite the cook, you'll have to share some of your recipes one of these days.
Angela
Post a Comment