
I
don't have official estimates, but it's about 3 times larger than Scott & White Hospital in Temple, and spans a much greater distance. It was intimidating just trying to get around the hospital at first, but at least they had signs up (much like an airport) telling how to get from one wing/campus to another. They have about 5 different operating rooms, too, which makes it even more challenging. After two weeks of that, I more or less know how to get around to where I need to be. Could you imagine if this were just a 2 week rotation?
I unwisely accepted the offer to stay with an LDS couple (MD/PhD student) for the 4 days before my sublet apartment opened up. Unwise in that I didn't ask where they lived in relation to the hospital and how they commuted. Turns out that since he's doing his PhD years (i.e. not strict hours), he takes the bus for 45 minutes each way to and from school. This is fine, except that to round at 5:30 in the morning, I had to be at the bus stop at 4:45 in the morning, and that meant waking up at 4:00AM. The couple was more than generous, but that time frame led to very inconvenient circumstances for both sides (can you imagine someone getting up at 4 in the morning in your house to get ready?). I'm very grateful they helped, but it was not the wisest decision. I'm now subletting from a 4th year student who is also doing an away rotation. Her 1 bedroom apartment is 15 minutes walking from the hospital, which is perfect. It was not cheap, but it's better than renting a car! I'm just glad that I'm so much closer.
Well, what's the experience been like so far? Aside from the heart break and the depression of being away from my awesome and loving and gorgeous wife (te amo bb) and also my rambunctious and super cute kids, it has been good overall. Phone calls home every night just don't cut it, do they? I had some bumps to get over at first, as the coordinators didn't get me a password for the electric patient medical records until about 5 days ago (after I went and raised heck). Another complication has been that Texas A&M's "wonderful" new email system for some unknown reason BLOCKS all Wash U's emails...can you imagine this?! I was getting updates and the such and had NO idea! That has been interesting, in a not so great way. Anyway, back to the rotation: there are some big-hitting names in the plastic surgery department here, and they do some incredible cases and procedures I had never before heard of (bridging intercostal-sural nerve grafts to restore function to the brachialis?). The head of their department is the biggest name in peripheral nerve repair in the country, and some of the other faculty are some important people as well. All the staff I've worked with so far have been surprisingly open and welcoming, except perhaps the residency program director who's a little more dry than I'd like. We'll see if I can win him over with these last few weeks. :) It's been hard to impress too much given I didn't have a password, and many times there is a fellow AND a resident in on a case, so I don't get as much "face time" as they say with the attending surgeon. I've done call twice: once was incredibly tough and 32 hours straight of work, and the second one was quite light (I'll do it twice more). Overall, though, the people are very helpful and cordial, and I'm hoping they're liking what they see in my effort, personality, abilities, and overall contribution. This is a program, I believe, that pushes people to excell and be their best, but does so in an appropriate fashion. They are family friendly, and the residents have shown me that they really support each other quite a lot, especially when tragedy occurs in the live's of their families. Most of the residents have warmed up to me, at least from what I can tell, though some are more lukewarm. I hope to win them over, but you can't please everybody all the time, right? I think I could be happy here in their training program. Too bad they're doing away with the 5 year plastics programs (all programs must be at least 6 years now).
I've also gotten to do some cutting, sewing, and casting that I didn't get to do before (and gotten some pretty good tips on how to best do it, which is great), and hope that I continue to improve so as to impress the remaining surgeons I haven't worked with yet and my other aways (and of course Scott & White). It's been a very intense learning experience, and I hope these last two weeks are positive and beneficial. I'm hoping to get a letter or two of recommendation, but we'll see how all that rolls out. :) One thing's for sure: I really, really, really wish that this didn't take the whole 4 weeks to come to fruition. Being so "far, far away" as Nicky told me on one phone call, has been very hard. I feel so bad that I can't be there for Claudia in her struggles with the kids and all that she does...it's truly been a sacrifice for her. I call them every night, but we can only talk for a few minutes. My heart goes out to them, and I can't wait to get back in 12.5 days. I love them so much, and can't wait to get back to Temple. I think I'll appreciate a medium sized hospital a LOT more now. Time to go, so much to read and study, so little time!
6 comments:
We are so proud of you babe. We love you and can't wait to see you here soon.
Away rotations are definitely tough, but they're worth it! Steve did his 4-week away rotation at CHOP when Rachel was only a month old. It's definitely difficult to be apart, but "sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven." Heavenly Father will bless you for your family's combined efforts. Hang in there; you are all doing great!!! We love you! --Laura
Aah, so nice to no longer be reading about things like nonsyndromic craniosynostosis... I hope the next two weeks fly by for you!
This sounds like a great opportunity. You are so closeto Carbondale, a city with significant importance to those older in your family. It is not long to endure and what a great opportunity.
Aunt Barbara
Congratulations! You've made it ov over the hump! Interesting to hear about all the top name surgeons and mentors you are being exposed to .I'm sure billboards don't lie. What a great opportunity to spend time in such a prestigious hospital...Its impossible to please everyone.Just keep up the good work. We know its hard being away from Claudia and the kiddie-pops.much love, mom
Hey Glen, you need to come back so we can talk BYU football. Do you think they'll beat Washington?
Keep up the good work. Away rotations can be miserable, trying to impress so many strangers while learning the ropes at a new place.
Post a Comment