Thursday, February 7, 2008

To my Grandma!




When I was a child my biggest dream was to have a Grandmother. I remember seeing my friends at school talking about theirs, but I didn't have one since both of mine passed away long before I was born. I remember that I used to see comercials about adopting a Grandma. I always tried to convince my mom to adopt one, but she was too busy with all of us that the last thing that she needed was to take care of another person. So her answer was always, "YOU ALREADY HAD TWO GRANDMAS. IT'S TOO BAD THAT THEY ARE NOT HERE ANYMORE, YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER THEM." Well, it was hard to remember a person who I didn't even know. My older sisters and brothers always talked about my Grandma (my mom's mom) like the best, but I couldn't share their feeling about her, for me it was somebody that was important for them, but not for me. Anyway, I grew up and with that I give up of the idea of having a Grandmother. Then I met Glenn, this wonderful man that I'm just crazy about who in all the aspects has fulfilled my life. He is not just giving me a family but also a great Grandma. I met his Grandma 5 years ago. I remember the day that she met me even though my English was awuful, she tried so hard to understand me. She knew that I was feeling frustrated about the languge, so she would explaine in a simple and funny way all her jokes. She made me laugh so hard! She would be the one who wanted me to sit always next to her so she could spoil me with her attention and her comments. She'd be the one who would give me compliments ALL DAY LONG! Then she told me that she wanted to be my Grandmother, too. I remember the day that she told me she wanted to be my grandmother, Glenn was there with me. Since he knew how important that was for me, he joined Grandma and me in crying. It was very sad that a little bit after that time we had to move to Texas. Two years ago she started to feel bad. Little by little she became very dependent on everybody. All the e-mails that relatives close to her would send us just made me mad at myself because I knew I couldn't do anything to help her, being so far away. To be totally honest, that was one of the reason that we decided to go last Christmas to Utah, so we could see her again. We knew that that was going to probably be the last time that we could see her. It was also a great opportunity for Ian and Nicky to get to know better the best Great Grandma ever.
Yesterday my mother in-law sentd an e-mail saying that Grandma Walker was getting worse. She ask us to pray for her, and even though I was feeling so sick just to think that I wasn't going to be able to see her again, it made me realize, too, that it was probably her time to join her husband, whom she hasn't seen for a long time.
This afternoon while I was checking my e-mails I saw the saddest e-mail I had ever recived. She has passed away. Even though I'm very happy for her, I'm sad too because you know I'm a human and I love her. I've been trying to cheer myself up but I had some things that I wanted to send to her, especially our family picture, but it's too late. And even right now the tears are just flowing out of my eyes. I love her so much and I'm always going to love her. She is indeed the best Grandma I could have ever had. I'm so thankful that I got the chance to meet her, to get to know her. I know she was a great friend, wife, mother, grandma and great grandma indeed. I will miss her so much, she meant so very much to me. She fulfilled that emptiness and desire I had to have a Grandma, and she did it with so much love. She is happy now, and that will help me to be happy, too. I will never forget my Grandma.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Claudia, this is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Elise said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma, Claudia. But I am happy that she could fill the missing spot for you.