Monday, April 19, 2010

Approval of my bosses!

Nicky seems to understand that manners are so important to us. When we sit at the table she knows that one of the rules is to try whatever Mom or Dad are serving and even if she doesn't like it she needs to eat it and be grateful that we have food on the table. ON THE OTHER HAND I have Ian who is barely 3 years old and due to this he doesn't follow the manners or the way the Walkers roll. Everyday is a waiting approval from my little bosses to see if they like the food that I made. Even if he doesn't like it we make him eat at least 3 bites of each one of the dishes (while of course we get into the same song of warnings and threats: IF YOU DON'T EAT YOU WILL BE PUNISHED, NO BUMBLEBEE TOYS, NO POWER RANGER TOYS, and YOU ARE GOING TO SLEEP RIGHT NOW!).
Today I had no idea what to make for dinner and out of the blue I decided to make beef soup. My kids has never been a big fan of this, epecially Ian. At this point I'm so used to making whatever I have in mind with the knowledge that I will have to fight a battle in case the food is not to their taste.
I served dinner. We had to wait since it was too hot. Nicky kept telling us that it was like the three bears soup (maybe she was sending hints about taking a walk...didn't work) .
Papa bear ate his soup and he made a great expresion on his face. Daughter bear ate her beef soup and she made the classic YUMM (would this be just manners of my honies?). And then there was the true critique coming: I saw son bear raising his spoon with some of the beef, vegetables and broth, gave it a few blows and eat it. I was waiting for his reaction and then with a sigh told me, "MOM, THIS IS VERY GOOD!" and started eating the whole thing. I sighed too in relief. I felt like one of my bosses that is always so demanding and hard to please recognizing my hard work and congratulating me.
Sometimes people asked me if I miss working as a lawyer. Personally I think being a lawyer was way easier compared to this new roll of my life. However, I have always liked having challenges and the challenge that my three kids bring everyday are fun to deal with :) (and yes sometimes frustrating, too).

4 comments:

Emily said...

I think I'm going to need to get this beef soup recipe and try it on my little ones

Sarah said...

It's so exciting when you find something your entire family loves. I'll have to try beef soup, see if I have the same luck you did. LOL!!

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Em, I normally do a little bit here a little bit there. This time I just condimented just with salt,pepper and Lawry's. I will e-mail you the recipe :)

Cassidy said...

I am getting so frustrated trying to come up with new things for my kids to eat. I've come to the realization that no matter what I make, it's going to be a struggle to get Carter to eat it anyways. That beef soup sounds good!! I'm a big time soup person.
Motherhood IS hard. Wouldn't trade it though.